Monday, March 25, 2024

A Stellar Adventure: From Astrology to Mars at the 2024 Science Fair

         On March 23, 2024, we had an incredibly delightful experience learning about science. The Wandering Minds captivated our minds by teaching us a bunch of different important topics during the fair. It was my second time being a part of such an enlightening event.


        I had an amazing experience because I got to learn alongside several other students. I learned a ton during my time in the first station, especially about Astrology. It turns out that there are supposedly 13 zodiac signs instead of 12 and the 13th one is called Ophiuchus. I also discovered that the sun rises in the East and sets in the West. Additionally, I learned the meaning of AM (ante meridiem) and PM post meridiem. 

        During the fair, one moment stood out to me the most - when we were discussing Astronomy. There's a certain charm about stars that always captivates me. They hold a very special place in my heart since they take me back to my childhood when I used to gaze at the stars with my family whenever we arrived home late. Even today, my favorite stars are still the ones that I cherished back then - the Orion's belt. That's why I was extremely fascinated when it was brought up during the discussion inside the giant dome. I couldn't take my eyes off the stars throughout the entire conversation. 

        In the second station, we focused on a topic that is strongly rooted in reality - Climate Change. This
subject made me realize how much impact a person can have on the environment. We discussed various ways to conserve energy, including the importance of the 5 Rs (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Repair, & Repurpose), the use of solar panels, and the differences between biodegradable and non-biodegradable materials. 



        The teachers presented the information in an engaging and fun manner, which kept my attention throughout the session. During the discussion, I became aware of the rapid damage we are causing to our planet and how important it is to be mindful of our actions. If we continue to harm the planet, we may not have a place to live in soon. That's why it is crucial to follow the 5 Rs, use solar panels, segregate our trash properly, and do other things that could help the planet.

        One time in Station 2, we were instructed to stand and form a circle while holding hands with each other. As I looked to my right, I saw the teacher placing a student's hand on a box with a flat metal surface on top. It was not until we all got electrocuted that I realized what was happening. It's crazy to think that people connected by holding hands could experience an electric shock together. Despite the shock, it was a very enjoyable and unforgettable experience for me.


        At the third station, we had a discussion about the planet Mars. Although we didn't do much, it was fascinating to learn about how similar Mars is to Earth. We also talked about Asteroids and Meteoroids, and got to see an interactive meteoroid which was fascinating. Additionally, we were shown the actual food that astronauts eat in space which was an exciting experience for me. I had only seen such foods in videos before, but seeing it in person was astounding. It was also a great experience listening to Ariana Grande's song with the teacher. She was a lot of fun, and it was awesome to jam with her. 


        Malcolm X once said, “Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.” I strongly resonate with this quote, as it pertains to the topic of climate change we discussed earlier. As I mentioned earlier, if we fail to act now, we will undoubtedly suffer in the future. If given the opportunity to attend a similar event again, I would love to experience it with my friends and learn more in a fun and engaging way, much like we did at the Science Fair.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Essence of Family Day | Trizha Talandron

“It is the smile of a child, the love of a mother, the joy of a father, the togetherness of a family.” -Menachem Begin      Noong Abril 28, ...